SWINBROOK, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 2 miles E. of Burford, its post town, and 5 N.W. of Witney. The village is situated on the little river Windrush, near Wychwood Forest. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Widford, in the diocese of Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains remains of a rood-loft and wooden screen, and tombs of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £343 per annum, of which £60 go to Mrs. Pytt's school, and the remainder, being a bequest of Sir G. Fetti-place, to the poor of this and eleven other parishes. The old seat of the Fetti-places is now in ruins.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees