SWINCOMBE, (or Swyncombe), a parish in the hundred of Ewelme, county Oxford, 3 miles S.E. of Watlington, and 1.5 mile N.W. of Nettlebed, its post town. The village is situated under the Chiltern hills. The parish includes the hamlets of Cookley Green and Park Corner, and commands an extensive prospect. A portion of the land is in down pasture, and about 200 acres in beech woods and plantations. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £325, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Botolph. Some fresco paintings were discovered on the walls whilst undergoing renovation. There are two schools for both sexes, one of them being devoted to domestic training. C. E. R. Keen, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees