TACKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 3 miles N.E. of Woodstock, its post town, and 9 from Oxford. The village is on the Oxford canal and the river Cherwell. The parish includes the hamlet of Nethercote, and belonged to the Nowers and Aylworths. A peculiar sort of earth used for flooring barns and cottages abounds. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £742, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a cruciform structure with a square tower. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. The Roman way Akeman Street passes through the parish, and separates the two manors of the Duke of Marlborough and Sir H. Dashwood, Bart.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees