TADMARTON, a parish in the hundred of Bloxham, county Oxford, 4.5 miles S.W. of Banbury, its post town, and 25 N.W. of Oxford. The village is situated on a branch of the river Cherwell. In the vicinity are Hook-Norton Barrow, Tadmarton Castle, and another ancient camp, where the Danes beat the Saxons in 914. Roman coins have been discovered here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £307, in the patronage of Worcester College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure with a tower. There is a National school for both sexes.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees