TAYNTON, a parish in the hundred of Chadlington, county Oxford, 1.5 mile N.W. of Burford, its post town. The village is situated on the river Windrush, near the borders of Wychwood Forest. There are quarries of freestone. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Oxford, value £56. The church, dedicated to St. John, contains an ancient font. There is a school with a small endowment.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees