UPPER HEYFORD, (or Warren Heyford) a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 7 miles N.E. of Woodstock. It is a station on the Oxford and Birmingham branch of the Great Western railway. The parish is situated on the river Cherwell, by which it is bounded on the W., and the Oxford and Birmingham canal passes through it. The village is small and wholly agricultural. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1841. There are quarries of good building stone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, valued in the king's books at £13 16s. 0.5d., in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower strengthened with buttresses, and bearing the arms of William of Wykeham, the founder of New College. Heyford House is the old seat of the Myrry family. In the vicinity is an ancient encampment.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees