WENDLEBURY, a parish in the hundred of Ploughley, county Oxford, 2.5 miles S.W. of Bicester. It is situated on the ancient Akeman Street, near the river Ray. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £220, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, was rebuilt in 1761, with the exception of the tower, which is ancient. There is a village school, and a small theological library. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees