WESTWELL, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 2 miles S.W. of Burford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £160, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has circular arched doorways with zigzag ornaments, and contains a monument to Charles Trindor, and an effigy of a priest. The local charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a National school for boys and girls. J. Bagnall, Esq., is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees