WOOLVERCOTT, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 3 miles N.W. of Oxford. It is situated on the banks of the Isis, between the rivers Cherwell and Thames, and contains the hamlets of Cutslow, King's Weir, and Godstow, at which latter place was a Benedictine abbey, founded in 1138 by a lady named Editha, and within its walls Fair Rosamond was interred. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Oxford, value £80, in the patronage of Merton College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a sepulchral chapel on the N. side, containing a monument to the family of Walter. There is an endowed parochial school for boys and girls. The charities produce about £30 per annum.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees