WOOTTON, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Oxford, 2 miles N.W. of Woodstock, within which borough it is situated. The parish is situated on the river Glyme, a branch of the Isis, and includes a portion of the town of Woodstock. Near the line of the ancient Akeman? Street are Killingworth Castle, and traces of several Roman camps. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value £800, in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are a free school for 12 boys, endowed in 1788 by Charles Parrott in 1785, and one for 6 girls by Mr. Lee, a late rector. The charities produce about £100 per annum, including the school endowments and £60 from church lands. The Duke of Marlborough is lord of the manor.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees