YARNTON, a parish in the hundred of Wootton, county Oxford, 4 miles N.W. of Oxford, and 3.5 S.E. of Woodstock. It is a station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western railway. It is situated near the Oxford canal and the river Thame. It is mentioned in Domesday survey as Hardintone, and was subsequently given to Eynsham Abbey by the name of Erdington, from which it passed to Bernard de St. Walenco and Edmund Earl of Cornwall, who gave it to Rewley Abbey, and since the Dissolution has been held by the Spencer and Dashwood families. The old manorhouse is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford, value £220, held by the Principal of Exeter College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, has several monuments to the Spencer family, and in the churchyard is a carved cross. There is a free school, founded by the late Alderman Fletcher, of Oxford.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees