YELFORD, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Oxford, 3.5 miles S.W. of Witney. It is situated on a branch of the river Thames, and sometimes called Yelford-Hastings, from having once belonged to the family of Hastings, but was afterwards purchased by Mr. Speaker Lenthall, in whose family the manor still continues. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford, value £110. The church is dedicated to St. Swithin.The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
Maintained by Malcolm Austen.
© 2011 GENUKI and its trustees